Tuesday, June 2, 2009

natural living

 

LaundryDetergent_06738

naturalapothecary

spicesandextracts 

The past few years I have been on the hunt for natural cleaning products-for quite a few reasons. 

1.  Why would I use something in my home that they recommend I don’t use when I am pregnant?  Why can I (and my husband and child) inhale the fumes of cleansers when no one is living in my belly?  Weird.

2.  The smell gives me a headache, anything that smells strong enough to give me a headache can’t be good.

3.  Kids are curious, especially with liquids in bottles, I feel much better about not having poisonous cleaners in my cabinets. 

According to the U.S Poison Control Centers, "A child is accidentally poisoned every 30 seconds and more than 50% of all poisonings occur at home with children under 5 years of age."

4.  Cancer (especially children’s cancer), infertility, allergies, asthma, & ADD are on the rise.  In the past 40 years, over 70,000 new chemicals have been released into the environment by products and foods. 

5.  Our Earth, when we use toxic cleansers, they run down our drains and into the sewer and eventually back into our water supply which we drink, bathe in and use to grow our food. 

So, why is it that I still have toxic cleaners under my cabinets?  I have decided that I will not any longer.  I have been using all natural cleaners about 85% of the time over the past few years and I am making the decision to change that to 100%.  Serendipitously, I came across a company called Watkins on a blog not long ago. . .I went to their website and absolutely fell in love with their packaging and decided to try their products.  Not only do they sell home cleaning products, but they sell personal products and cooking products.  They have been in business since 1886.  They promise that 95% of every product is all natural.  They are one of very few companies that have never had a recall on any product.  They are committed to business practices that are completely environmentally responsible.  So, I am sold and not only that, but I decided I was going to become an associate for the company!  I am having my first Watkins party to share the super great products with my friends (let me know if you want the details).  So excited to make my home a safer place for my family and our Earth.  Oh, and did I mention how super cute the packaging was. . .I mean seriously, look at that laundry detergent box. :)

Check out their products or shop online here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everyone loved the gift basket you made with these products. We raffled it off at an Eco Builder Fair and it was a hit! Thanks Cari.
John Balfanz Custom Homes